South Boise Childcare prides itself on offering information about quality child care to parents and families who are evaluating
whether to put a loved one into a child care facility. From information found on idahoSTARS there are 5 simple steps in decisions
concerning selection of a quality provider:
1. LOOK. Evaluate the site, programs, and staff by attending a site visit,
questioning the staff, and asking for referrals.
2. CHECK. Look over the environment within the facility and make sure
medicines are handled and stored correctly, cleaning supplies are managed efficiently, and policies for illness, injury, and
safety ready and available along with first aid kits and nutritious foods.
3. COUNT. Evaluate the ratio of adults to
children in the facility:
- One caregiver per three or four infants
- One caregiver per three or four
- One caregiver per four to six older toddlers
- One caregiver per six to nine preschoolers
ASK. Question staff training and skill-sets, experience levels, and daily operation. Make sure policies and procedures are
followed and understood.
5. BE INFORMED. Always research the facility in question by referencing local resource and
referral services found within child care service organizations.
For a more complete listing of these steps and related
resources visit the following link: